Thursday, June 3, 2010

Goin' Southern!

This is my definition of a southern comfort meal!  The only way it could get MORE southern is by catching the catfish myself....and let's be honest, who really does that?  The mac and cheese is one of my daughter's favorites (as you can see by her rating below).  And it would be mine too if I had the kid's metabolism.  The catfish is cooked exactly like you would expect, corn meal crusted and fried!  yum-o!  I was going to make some fried green tomatoes with this, but I think I have enough grease and starch in this meal alone.  I opted for the corn bread instead.....which I don't really helped much!  :)

Overall Ratings:
Me: 4 stars
My husband: 3 stars (he's not a big catfish fan)
My daughter: 5 stars (mac and cheese only for her)


Easy to prepare
Serves 4
Time: 1 hour

4 Cheese Mac and Cheese
4 slices of bacon
2 TBSP olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups of elbow macaroni
3 TBSP butter
2 TBSP flour
1 1/2 cup milk
4 ounces of Gruyere cheese
4 ounces of sharp cheddar
2 ounces of blue cheese
1/4 cup of Parmesan
1/2 cup of Panko bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Boil a large pot of water for the macaroni.  Make sure you salt the water!  This is the only chance the pasta has to get flavor.

While the water is starting to boil.  Heat the milk in a sauce pan. DO NOT LET IT BOIL!  You simply want to heat it so the cheese will melt.  Once it's hot, add 2 TBSP butter then the flour.  Stir until mixed.  Then start adding the cheese and stir it at the same time until completely melted.  Add a couple dashes of pepper.  Set to the side.

When the water is boiling add the pasta.  Cook until al dente. Drain water from pasta. Set to the side.

In the empty pasta pot, add the bacon and cook.  Remove and let the grease drain from the cooked bacon.  Leave the drippings in the pan.  Add the onion and saute.  Then add the garlic and saute.  Then add the pasta and the cheese sauce into the pot.  Chop the bacon up, add it and stir until mixed.

Melt 1 TBSP of butter in a small pan.  Then add the Panko bread crumbs.  Toast.

Add the mac and cheese to a casserole dish.  Sprinkle the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese on top.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.


Fried Catfish
4 pieces of bone-in catfish
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk
3 cups of corn meal
Old Bay seasoning

Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan.

In one dish combine the eggs and milk.  Scramble together.  In a separate dish add the corn meal.

Sprinkle Old Bay seasoning on each side of the catfish.  When your oil is hot enough you can start preparing the fish.  First dip in the egg and milk.  Then cover with the corn meal.  Add to the pan.  Cook each side for about 6-7 minutes.  Remove from the oil and let drain on paper towels.  Cook until all the fish is done.


Now for the cornbread, I simple followed a box recipe.  Trying to keep one thing simple!  I added Frank's hot sauce on my fish and a little on my mac and cheese....I LOVE my Frank's!!!  I also sprinkled a little flat leaf parsley on top of everything...added a little herby freshness!  :)

3 comments:

  1. I really have a hard time eating a fish that I saw caught. I always feel bad. Now if I don't see the death, I am OK.

    And any meal that offers cornbread is a great meal.

    Stopping by from SITS.

    LisaDay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love catfish! 4-cheese mac and cheese? Wow, I'm impressed.

    Stoppinb by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big catfish lover, but I love trout. I LOVE!!! mac and cheese and with 4 cheeses YUMMY!!! YUM!!! and cornbread with any meal is GREAT!!!
    I'm a NEW!!! follow and can't wait to see the rest of your blog, come by and visit anytime I have a recipe blog and LOVE!!! NEW!!! followers.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete