Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Chicken Tortilla Soup


Football season is almost here....well pre-season football is here...but don't get me started on that! And in our household we (okay, okay, my husband) is a HUGE football fan.  Now I will say that we, yes we, the entire household are HUGE Indianapolis Colts fans!  We even named our dog, Peyton Fluffy Manning (my daughter gave the doge the middle name).  

So when it comes to Sunday football, my husband enjoys eating soup.  (I think it's so he can eat it all day.)  This Chicken Tortilla Soup is by far his favorite.  I think he requests it every Sunday, but I need a break from it now and then.  :)

Overall Ratings:
Me: 5 stars
My husband: 5 stars
My daughter: 4 stars (she always says it's a little too spicy, BUT she always eats 2 bowls)




Chicken Tortilla Soup 
3 cups chicken stock
1 lb chicken breasts
1 bay leaf
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 chipotles, 2 Tbsp of chipolte sauce
28 oz fire roasted tomatoes


Garnishes
Tortilla chips
sharp cheddar
red onion, diced
cilantro
sour cream


Bring the chicken broth to a simmer.  Add the chicken and poach for 6-7 minutes with the bay leaf.


While poaching the chicken, heat some EVOO in a soup pot.  Add the bacon and cook.  Remove the bacon and drain the fat except for 2 Tbsps.  Add onions and garlic.  Cook for about 5 minutes.  Stir in diced chipoltes, chipolte sauce and tomatoes.  Chop the bacon up and add to the pot as well. 


Remove the chicken from the broth and chop into bite size pieces.  Add to the soup.  Strain the stock into the soup.  Simmer.


How to serve:
Add the soup to a bowl.  Add a handful of crushed tortilla chips on top.  Add onions, cheese, sour cream and or cilantro on top.  

No comments:

Post a Comment