Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Say hello to my Italian Beef Sandwich


My mother-in-law makes a mean Italian Beef! And I believe that I've called her at least 4 different times to get her recipe only to miss place it! So instead of bothering her AGAIN, I started this meal like I do so many others. Researching a handful of recipes that I think sound good, understand the basics of the meal and throwing my spin on it.

So tonight, it's Italian Beef with homemade salt and pepper parmesan chips! (And with any luck, I'll have enough for lunch tomorrow.)



Overall Ratings:
Me: 3.5 stars
My Husband: 4.5 stars
My Daughter: 4 stars (minus the peppers and onions, of course)

Easy to prepare
Serves 8+
About $2.15 per serving
Time: about 3 hours


Italian Beef Sandwiches
3-4lb Beef top round with fat cap

3TBSP Italian Seasoning

2TBSP salt

2TBSP fresh cracked pepper

1tsp cayenne

1TBSP paprika

1tsp red chili flakes
3 md yellow onions
2 red bell peppers
2 green bell peppers
2 whole garlic cloves
1/2 cup red wine
3TBSP
worcestershire
1 cup beef stock
8 Italian rolls
8 slices of munster cheese

Preheat your oven to 275.

Mix all dry ingredients together.


Rub the meat with the dry ingredient mixture. Make sure you really rub the ingredients into the meat, rub it like you would if you were a masseuse...we're talking deep tissue massage here!

Add the meat to a roasting pan with about 3 TBSP olive oil. Slice your onions and peppers and add them, along with the whole garlic cloves. Saute for about 15 minutes.

De-glaze the pan with the wine, beef stock and worcestershire. Dont' forget, if you cook with wine, then you are obligated to drink a glass too!  Make sure you scrape the bottom of the pan and get all of the yummy brown bits at the bottom! Lots of flavor in those little bits!

Place the pan in the oven, uncovered, for about 2.5 hours.

Remove the pan and let the meat rest. If you get into the meat before it cools, all of the delicious juices will run out. And that's a very bad thing!

After the meat has rested, slice into thin strips and assemble your sandwich!  And don't forget to save some of the juices for dipping! De-lish!!!


Easy to prepare
Serves 4
About $0.47 per serving
Time: 20 minutes

Homemade salt and pepper parmesan chips
3 thinly sliced potatoes
S & P
Parmesan cheese
1 cup vegetable oil

Heat the oil until is starts rippling.  Slowly add the sliced potatoes making sure not to over crowd the pot.  When the chips begin to brown, take them out and let them drain on paper towels.  Immediately salt and pepper the chips.  Once all of them are done cooking, sprinkle some parmesan cheese over them.

5 comments:

  1. Stopping by from SITS.

    Yum yum yum! The parmesan chips sound amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds good! Where do you live again (wow, that sounds stalkerish!)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from SITS. That looks great. I want and definitely agree that you should have a glass (or two) of wine when you are cooking with the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping from SITS and following. Good luck and have fun blogging. I have been doing it a few months and I dont know what I am doing but I am enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies for the comments! I REALLY appreciate it!

    Ronnica....I live in Kentucky. The normal part of it....not the east end, mountain, hilbilly part! :)

    ReplyDelete